Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Simple yet Sophisticated

This sleek and minimal white design personifies elegant sophistication to me.  It has been designed as a modern interpretation of a classical style, reminiscent of the 1920’s.  A white batten-burg lace duvet and pillowcase were repurposed to create this unique piece. 

I received a duvet and matching pillow case from a woman who felt that their intended purpose had expired.  I knew that I could use the items for some kind of apron but wasn’t exactly sure until I laid them out flat and assessed the potential.   With a coffee in hand, I contemplated the imperfections carried over from years of use.  Inspiration had struck and a vision developed which would feature the designs of elegant batten-burg lace.
With the apron now complete I can say that the only purchase I made were snaps.  I have had to convince myself of not being scared to wear a white apron.  It is an understanding that an apron is a protector; it was meant to be used, and stains are inevitable.  In the worst case scenario I have to remember that a white apron can be dyed a darker color ensuring longevity.    And then I also need  to stop and remember that stains hold the stories of our lives. 

Thanks for visiting,

Danine


2 comments:

  1. This is a lovely apron! I would probably be a little scared to wear a white one, too, but I'd probably be able to talk myself into it like you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the compliment Sophia. I am happy to share my creations with a fellow artisan!

    ReplyDelete