Saturday, March 5, 2011

Butterfly Beauty


This beautiful piece was a treasure my Auntie Ann found at a little antique shop in Ontario.  She told me that she found a wooden chest and opened it to explore.  It was filled with treasures.  That is if you are an apronologist I guess.  I certainly consider opening a chest of vintage aprons a successful treasure hunt.  

The piece is hand embroidered with the backside as neat and tidy looking as the front.  

For right now this piece is sitting on the sidelines waiting to be recreated.  The complete inspiration has not come out yet.  I will let the piece sit out in view for a while and one day the inspiration will come.  


This is the process I go through with nearly all my designs.  I find an antique linen I love and let it sit out where I can see it everyday.  It may sit there for months on its own or I may pair it with a piece of fabric that seems to match.  Then I will be in an antique market one day see a jar of vintage  buttons and the full vision of the finished apron will hit me.  It is then that I race home and can not wait for the boy’s bedtime so I can create the vision in my head.  These are late nights but the result in the morning is breathtaking, to me anyways.  
How do you get your inspirations?
Danine  

No comments:

Post a Comment