Sunday, March 6, 2011

An Easter Heirloom Apron


I am so excited to turn this tablecloth into an apron.  Just a few weeks ago my sister-in-law passed this piece onto me.  There is a lot of research that I am still needing to do with it.  I was given a bag of family linens and instructed  “not to just sell them.”  There is sentimental value to these treasures and once I looked in the bag I could understand why.  


Now I just need to do the research and find the stories that are attached to all the stains.  My pictures truly do not do it justice.  I opened up this square tablecloth with beautiful embroidery.  I am not sure if has been handmade by my mother-in-law or one of my husband’s grandmothers.  




The part that got me really excited after seeing the embroidered bouquet of flowers were all the stains!  There are bright pink ones, yellow ones, and blue ones.  At very first glance there was a randomness to the stains but then when I really paid attention there was a perfect pattern and explanation.  How many children were sitting around the table dying easter eggs when these splashes landed on the tablecloth?   



I can see where the bowls where sitting and what color had been in each bowl.  My heart starts beating faster when I see the linen and have so many questions.  How far back did the family dye easter eggs.  It is a tradition we do at out house.  I have decorated eggs at my husbands house for the the 15 years we have been together.  Are these stains from when he was a little boy or are they from his mom having decorated eggs when she was a young girl?  

The apron has yet to be created but there will be one out of this tablecloth.  It will be a piece that stays in the family.  
Do you have family traditions that can be traced by vintage linens?  I would love to hear your stories.  
Danine



No comments:

Post a Comment