Thursday, March 3, 2011

My First Apron



I was digging through a packed up box from a move 6 years ago and this is what I found.  The very first apron I sewed.  

It is nothing fancy but it did complete a requirement while I was in university.
For one of my surface design classes, where we were using dyes and paints each day, I was required to wear an apron.  Until I found this apron I had not remembered making it.  I do remember buying a couple remnants at a hugely discounted price.  There apparently was not enough fabric to make 2 ties so I created a buttonhole and looped the 1 strap through and knotted.  A functional way of making it work I guess.


The finer details I notice today is that it is very boxy.  There was no pattern used.  I laid the fabric folded in half out on the table and cut.  The pockets are just one chunk length of fabric with a line stitched down the center creating 2 pockets.  It surprised me to see that I had lined it!       

It was fun to find this.  At the time this was made there was not even a hint that I may one day be creating one of a kind designs in vintage aprons.  Kind of fun to look back and see where it all started.  
Thanks for visitng,
Danine

No comments:

Post a Comment