Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Vintage Softness

Vintage Softness


This is currently my favorite apron that I have created.  My inspiration came from a set of 4 matching handkerchiefs.
The handkerchiefs are so soft to touch.  The softness was going to be my focus.  This apron needed to have a soft overall finish instead of using starch to press out the crease lines of years of use.  Two of the 4 matching handkerchiefs have been damaged by simple use.  There are holes and worn threads in a couple of areas.  I have incorporated that into the design.


The first apron detail came from a very worn section of one of the hankies.  I decided to inlay a piece of crotched lace ribbon which had a very similar look to the original hankie.  After I stitched the lace over the damaged section I cut away the backside (the actual hankie itself) and added a strip of pink guilting cotton to give a soft color showing through.


Two of the four hankies were used in whole and then two were cut.  There was one hankie cut in half diagonally and the other was cut horizontally through the center.  I used a basting stitch creating a few gathers and stitched the sections to the bottom edge of what would be the center base hankie.  For the side hankies I actually used 2 which if there was no damage I could have used only 1.  These hankies were cut on the diagonal and the damaged section was added to my “one day I will use it’ pile.  



The underskirt and waistline sash came from leftover quilting fabric my mom used to make a quilt for me over 10 years ago.  I love that I can incorporate memories in to my creations.  For me this is the significance behind my designs.  So many have grandma’s doilies in the linen closet but what are we going to do with them?  


I am still searching for the perfect embellishments to complete my apron.  I do have a few vintage pink buttons that match perfectly.  It is just not enough yet.  I am going to do a feature on the left shoulder area and then again on the right side waist.  Maybe a few fabric roses from the green cotton will bring the balance of color up to the top of the apron.  I will post new pictures when I find that final touch.  




Thanks for visiting, 
Danine   

No comments:

Post a Comment